The thaw has arrived, but I managed to go out to see the last of it disappear. Despite starting at a leisurely time in the morning courtesy of the weekend, and a positive temperature reading, the first mile of my run up to Shotover country park was almost entirely white. All the pavements outside our house and most up the hill were covered by snow/frost hybrid. The top of the hill was definite snow, filling in some of the ground unevenness on the grass and making for very slippery running on the main driving track. The sun was out and it was beautiful - I felt like I was on top of the world.
On the way up, the fastest double X chromosome in the Headington road runners loped up to me, scaring the life out of me as I was Ipodding intently at the time. We exchanged a few comments and she passed on with her equally loping male companion. And I puffed on after them, as they disappeared into the distance. Great to be able to talk ot such talent though. Afterwards, apart from being glad of the chat, I was immensely grateful for 2 other things - firstly that I hadn't been singing 'tunefully' at that point(especially some really old fashioned 80's track, written before she was born), and secondly I was glad I wore my DXB's, as up to then this week I had been wearing the exact same trousers as she had on, only much worse!
On the way down to home I met two lovely enthusiastic dogs clambering up quite a steep climb, and I stepped to one side to give the better track to an older gentleman making a very good job of the hill. In my laboratory autistic nature I left looking at his face to last, and was quite surprised when he called me by name! Only the departmental histopathology Professor! Didn't even know he ran!
Then the last part of the journey back was like coming out of Narnia, as all the white had disappeared, and all the black tarmac pavements were back. I was so intent on memorising the view, I have to say I didn't really notice the run itself. Nothing has dropped off or seized up yet. No real aches or pains, although I do have a bit of a worrying sniffle. I feel I am sitting more upright at work - not sure if thats related - and I feel more flexible somehow. I also think I've toned up a bit since the beginning of the month, but that may be the impending Lanzarote effect!
Monday, 12 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment