Oh dear, the last run round the lagoon in medium wind and glorious sunshine, the beginning of a beautiful day. Pity it couldn't have been the all-out race that my head was thinking of as I left my little apartment for the last run. My chest seized up straight away, couldn't get a deep breath at all and had to really slow down just to keep going. Started coughing in the 3rd mile and it began to feel better, but definitely a problem.
Then I spent 90 mins sitting in the sun, by the pool, chilling and considering what I had and hadn't got out of the week. The good things include the weather (just to be able to train every day without freezing and in shorts, perfect, not too hot), the different terrain, interesting runs, hills, even the wind made it interesting; being able to relax in between sessions - no work, no mobiles going off genereating work etc; the runners I met from Marlow make me realise I really like the company of other runers - I'm less convinced by the multi-sport variety! The opportunity to train with and learn from two of the most famous triathletes, second to none. Encouragement in cycling from Rose, a triple Ironwoman at 54 years with still a far greater cycling kick than I may ever have. Taking Paul's bike - a real 'beauty' and a pleasure to ride. The restaurant was nice, friendly, and I was only gatecrashed by a cockroach type 'friend' once - we were both terribly surprised by his sudden appearance on the tablecloth, exactly opposite me and in between knife and fork, but I'm afraid I reacted quicker with a flick than he could.
Things I would like to change: unfortunate elitist attitude of some of/most of the other competitors on the duathlon camp; stomach cramps and tight chest; wish I could have brought my partner with me, missed chatting and wittering on about various things during the day; eurosport on tv but otherwise not really telly; wish I had brought fewer pants and another book, preferrably the 'marathon des Sables' tome I can't wait to start (not much to do in the evenings if karaoke or drinking aren't really your thing). I really wish I could have run faster most of all. A few really fast runs would have done my confidence the world of good. Might have ended up a lot more tired - as it is I hardly feel tired at all, I feel regenerated. Would like more self-confidence in my running generally - seem to be going through a bit of a barren time and it needs to be re-focussed I think.
I have a plan for February - a possible plan anyway. Now that we have (almost) proven that it is perfectly possible to go out everyday with minimum of fuss and life can manage around this, what about aiming to set new records (not necessarily at races but could be just Garmin recorded) for 3 distances - say 3miles or 5k, 5 miles and 10k? The pressure now moves to delivering performance rather than running every day although I'm thinking there must be the tiniest link between the two somewhere. Food for thought . . . .
Friday, 30 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment