Saturday, 10 January 2009

Day 9 - 4.48 miles (38.18 mins) @ 8.33/mile

Now today I planned to run home from work. This may not seem like a big issue, but that would involve running in the dark, as well as cold, for the first time since a rather nasty attack in Oxford on a runner along a fairly busy road. However, I had an enormous clinic in the morning which didn't finish til 1.45pm, than I wandered over to the other hospital to spend the afternoon doing other bits and bobs. It was freezing in the first hospital and even more freezing walking over. I have to say, I was close to wanting to curl up in a corner.

It was fairly freezing inside at site 2, but I decided to walk around as much as possible, 'networking' and sorting things out face-to-face, which was fun. Then I looked out the window around 4pm and thought it looked remarkably foggy and unwelcoming. My partner had already informed me that it was -5 C by the car thermometer and too cold to run in.

Then I read my brothers blog site entry for yesterdays run, and it all changed. I rest my case for my inspiration.

When I finally got out the door, Garmin all synched already, one woolly hat and two pairs of gloves on, it was wonderful! It was snowy lightly - what I had thought was mist - was apparently closer to -4 C, and I ran though prettty much virgin undusturbed light snow for the first mile,,absolutely delighting in it. I would hard pressed to find a more enjoyable running experience since the end of the Jurassic Challenge. It was like running through a classic Christmas card scene.

I managed further than I thought in all, running down to the ice rink to meet my partner (it was actually warmer walking into the ice rink than outside!). It didn't matter how far it was, I took no notice of distance and just enjoyed the feeling. I wasn't cold at all and my legs just wanted to go. My last full mile was 8.12 mins, which may not seem much to the untrained observer, but I think I might just be beginning to speed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment